Electrical Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

On this page:

Undergraduate Students

Below are a few of the most common questions. If your question is not here, the Undergraduate Handbook (PDF) answers most questions for undergraduate electrical engineering students.

  • I'm transferring from another college/university. What are my requirements?

    Applicants with more than 30 hours of previous college work must have a 2.0 GPA (in that college work), to be admitted as an intending or pre-student. Students with less than 30 hours of college level coursework will be considered based on the criteria above.

  • What are my requirements to be considered a Full Major for Electrical Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology?

    Program admission can be found under the advising page.

  • How much does tuition cost?
  • What financial aid is available to me?

    In addition to financial aid from loans, grants, and scholarships, EE students have 2 options:

    1. Cooperative Education
      The Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), at Wright State University provides students with an opportunity to integrate classroom theory with practical, career-related work experience. Engineering co-op students usually alternate on-campus study with related jobs, primarily in local industries. Students can gain valuable experience, test career interests, learn more about the engineering field, develop job-related skills, as well as earn money to meet college expenses. Students who are interested may schedule appointments with a member of the Brandeberry Career Center.
    2. IEEE Student Chapter
      The Department of Electrical Engineering supports a student chapter of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the largest professional society in the world. Those interested in the benefits and privileges of membership are invited to contact student chapter officers or the EE Department. You may apply for membership by using the IEEE website at http://www.ieee.org/. 


  • Where is the dropbox?

    The dropbox is the turn-in location for paper lab assignments. It is located to the left of the administrative office door (311 Russ Engineering Center). 

  • What are my graduation requirements?

    To be eligible for the Bachelor of Science degree students must:

    1. Complete all requirements in the EE program.
    2. Fulfill the university's general education requirements.
    3. Complete all writing intensive and multicultural competency courses for general education and all writing intensives in the major.
    4. Complete the residency requirement of 30 credit hours at Wright State University (15 of which must be earned in courses numbered 3000 or above). At least 12 of the last 30 hours of the degree must be taken in residence.
    5. Complete all academic work with at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average and at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average in all engineering and computer science courses taken at Wright State University.

    Students should meet with their academic advisor before their last semester to be sure they will complete all requirements for graduation. Students are encouraged to check their degree audit report to monitor their degree progress.


  • When are advising walk-ins?

    Advising walk-in hours are Wednesday 2-4 p.m.

Graduate Students

Below are a few of the most common questions. If your question is not here, the Graduate Handbook (PDF) answers most questions for graduate electrical engineering students.

  • How much does tuition cost?
  • Are there assistantships available?

    Yes. Go to our 'Careers & Internships' page for more information.

  • What are the admission requirements?

    A student may be admitted to the program on a Regular status with a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or related fields from an ABET-accredited (Washington Accord) institution of higher education with a minimum electrical engineering GPA of 2.9 on a 4.0 scale.

    Students with GPA below 2.9 may be admitted conditionally with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.7. The condition to attain Regular status is usually the achievement of a GPA of 3.0 or better in the first 2 graduate courses (or with cumulative GPA of 3.0 at any point thereafter) as specified by a department advisor.

    GRE scores are not required for students who have graduated from an ABET-accredited institution.

    Applicants with a non-EE bachelors or master’s degree may be required to demonstrate proficiency with prerequisite material (see Handbook).

  • What are the degree requirements?
    1. Complete a Program of Study, with approval by the Graduate Program Director (Dr. Shaw), by the end of first term.
    2. Complete at least 30 graduate credit hours (numbered 6000 or above).
    3. Complete at least 24 of the 30 graduate credit hours in Electrical Engineering courses.
    4. Complete at least 18 of the 30 graduate credit hours in courses numbered 7000 level or higher, with at least 12 credit hours in Electrical Engineering.
    5. Elective courses must be selected from an approved list available from the EE department.
    6. No more than 6 credit hours of C grades are allowed for graduation. Of these, no more than 2 credit hours of C grades in Labs are allowed for graduation.
    7. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation.
    8. Complete at least three (3) courses from one of the track options (VLSI & Electronics, Controls, Signal Processing & Communications, and/or RF & Microwave). At least two out of these three courses must be at the 7xxx level.

    *Independent study, transfer credit, and thesis hour limitations are detailed in the Handbook.

    Check the Graduate Studies Catalog for more information.

  • What if I earn poor grades?

    You may either keep the grade or replace the grade. All students in graduate study programs are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0. The grade of C is the minimum passing grade for graduate credit. A course taken for graduate credit in which a D is received may not be applied toward the requirements of a graduate degree.

  • How many credits may I transfer?

    Up to 8 graduate semester credits earned at a regionally accredited academic institution may be transferred to a student’s graduate academic record. Acceptance of these credits is subject to approval by the department's Graduate Program Director and The Graduate School. An approved Program of Study must be on file at The Graduate School before transfer credits may be posted.

  • How may I earn credit for independent study?

    Independent study credits are graded on a pass/fail basis. A student desiring to perform independent study should complete an independent study contract form which may be obtained in the department’s administrative office. That contract must be approved by the faculty member and chair prior to registering for credit.

  • May I drop a course?

    You may, though we recommend talking to your advisor and instructor before doing so. Be aware of how it will affect your projected graduation date and financial aid.

  • May I take courses outside of electrical engineering?

    The degree requirements state that at least 24 out of 30 credits must have an EE prefix. It follows that with advisor approval, a program of study may be devised to include graduate courses from other engineering departments.

  • Where is the dropbox?

    The dropbox is the turn-in location for paper lab assignments. It is located to the left of the administrative office door (311 Russ Engineering Center). 

  • When are advising walk-ins?

    Advising walk-in hours are Wednesday 2-4 p.m.

International Students

  • How much does tuition cost?
  • Are there jobs available to me?

    International students are eligible for on campus employment in their first semester.  On campus jobs are available, but very competitive.  After two semesters of full time registration, international students are eligible to apply for internship opportunities, i.e. full time or part time CPT. Contact the EE department for more information.

  • Are there scholarships available to me?

    Scholarships, tuition waivers, mentorships, Graduate Assistantships, Graduate Research Assistantships, and Graduate Teaching Assistantships are available. These are typically based on scores (GPA, GRE, IELTS/TOELF), faculty recommendation, and availability. Some UCIE scholarships must be applied for once on campus. Check UCIE for more information.

  • Am I required to have health insurance?

    Health insurance is required and you will be automatically billed. International students are granted an exemption only if covered by a US-based insurance through the employer of a spouse or parent. No other insurances will be accepted. More information is on the UCIE page

Admissions Information from the University Center for International Education

Take the Next Step

Finding the right college means finding the right fit. See all that the College of Engineering and Computer Science has to offer by visiting campus.